Wednesday 24 April 2019

Appleless Apple Pie - Ruby Rock-It Creative Team



Hello Ruby Rock-It Fans, Today I wanted to share with you how making kits helps me create.
Creating a kit is the first step I do when crafting, I do this as I find it helps me create.  I find things flow better if I have a selection of supplies that may suit my project ready to go so I can just play.
Today's kit and project were inspired by the gorgeous Apples paper from Bella Red Gallery.


There is bit of a story to how this project came about.
When I saw this gorgeous Apple paper from Ruby Rock-It I wanted Apple Pie but there is one big problem as my kids and I have Fructose Malabsorption so we can't eat apples.  I was telling my friend who also has Fructose Malabsorption and she told me she found a recipe for a Appleless Apple Pie that uses Jatz crackers, intrigued I did some googling and from what I can tell this started as a practical joke but as someone who can't eat apples but loves apple pie this is awesome.
I decided since there is some excellent gastronomical science in this recipe that it would be a great educational activity to do with the boys.  However life chaos has meant I haven't baked the pie yet but I have converted the recipe to metric and written it on a index card so Today I am scrapping that card onto a 12x12 layout.

Now back to my kit, in it I included :-
Bella Red Gallery Red Gallery Apples RG509
Bella French Country Worktop FCY92
Bella French Country Cluck FCY08
Bella French Country Straw FCY78
Fundamentals Kraft Med Circle Tags FNT36
Ruby Rock-It Happy Days Stamp HYE56
Ruby Rock-It Faded Empire Stamp FDE39
Fundamentals White Doilies
Fundamentals White Mini Pegs
Ruby Rock-It Micro Beads Red
Ruby Rock-It Chipboard Alphas

Once I started working I decided to add 3 Mini Distress Inks to my kit.  Antique Linen, Vintage Photo and Fired Brick.

I stared by cutting my papers.  I cut a 4 1/4 x 6 1/4 piece from Cluck, 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 from Straw, 6x8 from Apples and 8x10 from Worktop.

As I played with my papers and my index card I felt the index card needed to be aged so I blended Antique Linen Distress Ink over the index card and blended the edges of my Cluck and Straw papers also.


I then just slightly edged these papers, my index card and the Worktop paper with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
I edged my Apple paper with Fired Brick Distress Ink. 
I also blended Antique Linen around the edge of my background cardstock and then edged it with Fired Brick and then a slight edge of Vintage photo.




I glued down my Worktop paper approximately 1 inch in from the left side and the top and bottom and then glued the Straw and Cluck papers down on a angle but I only added my glue in the centre so I would be able to tuck thing in as I played.  I added my index card at a angle too. 

Later when I had all my embellishments down I decided to add a white paper doily, I cut it in half and tucked it under my papers.  I then glued the edges of my papers down.









I painted the letters to spell Pie and a flower from the chipboard alphas wih red paint, once the paint was dry I inked them with Fried Brick Distress Ink.  Once this was dry I sealed them with Helmar Crystal Kote Gloss Varnish to give them a nice shine and to ensure if my layout ever gets wet that the ink won't run. 
I then sealed all my papers and index card with Helmar Chrystal Kote Matte Varnish to ensure they won't run either.

I needed some flowers so I decided to make a flower from the remainder of my Apples paper and the cardstock I cut away from behind where the Worktop paper was going.
I grabbed my nearest flower punch and punched out 3 flowers from my paper.  I coloured the back of my flowers with Fired Brick Distress Ink and edged them once dry.  When half dry I scrunched them up and unraveled them.



I glued my layers together by placed a drop of Helmar Acid Free Glue in the middle and layering them slightly off centre.
I then added a drop of Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive and poured some of the gorgeous Ruby Rock-It Micro Beads onto it.  I grabbed a tooth pick and sort of mixed them into the glue a little and then I grabbed out my Just Bead It JBX84 Round Brass Beads, Silver and dipped 3 per flower into some Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive and added them on top of the Micro Beads.

I thought the Circle Tags could make a cute representation of a pie so I gave a tag the same treatment I gave my cardstock and I blended the edge with Antique Linen Distress Ink and then edged it with Fired Brick and Vintage Photo.  I tucked it under my photo matts and added my letters.

I then added my 2 big flowers and filled out my cluster with some little brown roses from my stash.

I love how the 2 different papers coloured with Fired Brick Distress Ink turned out.
I scrunched them a little more once glued down.


I added my chipboard flower to the top right corner of my index card.

To finish off my layout I dabbed my Fired Brick Distress Ink onto my craft sheet and added water, I then splattered it with a paint brush all over my layout to look like I had spilt something on it while cooking.


Thank you for reading my post.  Have you ever had a scrapbooking supply inspired you to search for recipes?

If you would like to see more of my work you are welcome to visit my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the apples and wood paper on this layout takes me back to when we were kids and brought boxes of apples fresh from Stanthorpe in Queensland. Thanks for the memories and great layout!!

    ReplyDelete