Wednesday 29 May 2019

Simple Steampunk Cards - Ruby Rock-It Creative Team




The Steampworks and Dapper ranges are perfect for making simple Steampunk cards for those in your life that love Steampunk or for those you need a masculine feeling card.




My boys and their friend are currently creating Steampunk costumes for a Steampunk world record attempt in June so when their friend's birthday was approached I thought making a simple Steampunk Card with Bella Steamworks Mini Theme would be a nice way to acknowledge their friend's current interest.


I grabbed out Clockwork from Steamwork SKS82 and Odds & Ends SKS99
a white paper doily from Fundamentals, 3 mini distress inks to distress and age things and a Kraft coloured card base from the Francehville Cards & Envelopes Basics pack

After cutting my Clockwork paper to 4 1/8 x 5 3/8 I then looked for a card in the Odds & Ends paper I wouldn't want at a later date and cut 2 strips from it so I could piece them together and get a full length piece for my card.
















To cover the join in my pieces from Odd & ends I aged a white paper doily from Fundamentals with some mini distress inks in Antique Linen, Old Paper and Vintage Photo.
















The boys chose the hat and watch from Bella Dapper Segments DPR52 as the fussy cut pieces for the card.
I adhered them with Helmar Liquid Scrap Dots to give them some dimension, but as it is adjustable since it is a glue I could alternate the heights.







For my second card I was inspired by the Sailor on the Bella Mini Theme Dapper paper called DPR52 Segments to create a card for my Father in-law's birthday as he was a Merchant Seaman and he has a impressive beard so it reminded me of him.

I used a black card base from the Basics pack of Franceville cards & Envelopes and cut a piece of DPR76 Imprint from the Bella mini theme Dapper to be the base (I used the B side which is a lovely spotty paper).  I then cut a piece from SKS82 Clockwork from Bella mini theme Steamworks to use the B side as a contrast (selectively cutting wher there were minimal of the cogs print so I would have more for a later project).  I then trimmed down the Sailor piece to fit and cut out Best Wishes phrase on the Segments paper so that I could use one to cover the banner that is bellow the sailor and act as my sentiment.

I decided I wanted to add some Bling swirls to this card to represent ocean spray so I used the Crafter's Choice Bling Corners in Black and clear.
Adhering it down on the left side of the banner.  I trimmed off the overhang and used the remaining bits to create swirls on the right.














I wanted my sentiment to pop up a little so I used some Helmar Liquid Scrap Dots to do this as it gave me the flexibility to adjust the height of my sentiment and could go over the Bling.


And my card is done.  I love how it turned out and my Father in-law really liked it, he liked that it reminded him of himself.
The Bling Corner was a perfect way to give the card some pop and enhance the story of the Sailor.





No comments:

Post a Comment