Wednesday, 12 September 2018

Happy Days Diner memories - Craftonline DT

Welcome to my first post for Craftonline's new team.  I am so excited to be on this team, my creativity is flowing and my brain is full of ideas.
My first idea was to record my memories of taking family to Happy Days Diner so I selected supplies that would coordinate with the colours and theme of the restaurant.

Here is a list of all I ordered that is still available.

Sound of Music Die Cut Border by Find It Trading Amy Design
Vintage Vehicles Punch Out Sheet by Find It Trading Amy Design
Bazzill Mylar Silver Cardstock
Deep Red Stamps Vintage 45 Record Stamp
NY Cake Silicone Mold - Dress
Prima Marketing Havana Mulberry Paper Flowers and Leaves
Crate Paper Maggie Holmes Willow Lane Alphabet Stickers
Crate Paper Wild At Heart Thickers Charming
Crate Paper Maggie Holmes Willow Lane 6x8 Paper Pad
Simple Stories Good Vibes Stickers
Dovecraft Accordion Sticker Flowers
Pink Paislee Colour Wash Title Stickers
Pink Paislee Nantucket Crabcakes paper
We R Memory Keepers Hello Darling Radiant paper
Vicki Boutin Mixed Media Paints Set 1
Versacolor Pigment Ink Cyan
Versacolor Pigment Ink Lilac

I decided to prep my embellishments first, starting with a cute 50's dress embellishment.  I was inspired by Farrel's Helmar blog post on making your own embellishments with Helmar Glue and a silicone mold, so I wondered if Craftonline had any silicone molds that would suit a 50's theme and I found this fantastic dress mold.
Due to my mold being much bigger than Farrel's mine would not dry properly, so I decided to try making my own paper clay with archival safe paper scraps and Helmar Acid Free Glue. 
I started by tearing up some archival paper scraps and soaking them overnight in water.  The next day I used my blender to turn it into paper pulp.  E had fun squeezing the water out of the pulp, I got him to do it as it is a great activity for Fine Motor Skills and Sensory Processing.
Once the water was squeezed out of my paper pulp I added Helmar Acid Free Glue until I had a clay consistency, then I dusted my silicone mold with corn flour and filled it with my clay and let it set over night, hitting it with my heat gun a couple of times to help it dry to be sure it dried well.
I had fun painting my dress with Vicki Boutin paints in Cotton Candy and Banana.
I decided to make a second dress but I didn't filly the middle to the top, I wanted to try doing a hollow dress.  It turned out really well, I mixed some cyan Versacraft ink with white paint to paint majority of the dress.  Then mixed some lilac Versacraft with white pain to do part of the bottom of the dress and a base on the flower and bow.  I finished the flower, bow and the very bottom of the dress with cotton candy Vicki Boutin pain mixed with white paint.  I then painted the bottom edge with white paint.  I absolutely love how this dress turned out.

When I was waiting for my glue attempt of the dress to dry I die cut this awesome die and this amazing Silver Mylar cardstock from Bazzill and I stamped my records and coloured the labels using some distress inks as watercolours.

Now that all my embellishments were ready to go I started scrapbooking.  I got 5 layouts done with all my wonderful supplies and I have lots left for more layouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment