Wednesday 17 January 2018

Do It For Dolly Art Journal Page

Dolly's Dream an anti-bullying campaign started in memory of a young girl who died due to bullying has touched so many including myself.  As a person who was severely bullied throughout my childhood and the parent of children who were severely I feel, I know this could have been me, this could have been my child, this could have been any of us or any of our children.  We need a societal change regarding bullying and how it is handled.  This must stop.

Annette (owner of Art and Soul Studio) shared a idea in her Soul Sisters group and Soul Journey 2018 group, the idea was we create a Art Journal page inspired by Dolly and she will bind them into a book and send it to Dolly's family.  



Dolly's last artwork had inspired me to want to create something and Annette's suggestion felt like a nice way to use what I created.

You may have noticed I have been working with limited supplies for a while and this limit of supplies made creating a Art Journal page a challenge.  The reason I have been working with limited supplies is Due to Mr C and my no longer being able to do stairs we have made the decision to move into a house without stairs.  Due to this I packed my craft supplies first and kept just 1 cart of supplies out including just 2 stamps, 3 stencils and a small selection of ink pads.  Due to circumstances beyond our control the move is on temporary pause but I am refusing to unpack.  So to create this Ar Journal page I only had 2 blue ink pads, the blue and gold paint that came in my Soul Journey Charity Kit, in addition to the grey and black ink pads used for the stamping and the Kaisercraft Wandering Ivy Collectables that were in my Design Team Pack from The Scrapbooking Emporium.  As you can imagine this made creating a challenge.

I started by creating a cut file for Dolly's quote for my Silhouette, I cut it from some pale blue cardstock, due to my hand issues I thought a die cut quote would help me create this page without impacting my hand too much.

Next I inspired myself by putting everything that would work for this project on my desk.  I had no idea what I was going to do apart from use the quote and the bits I had.  I sorted through the Wandering Ivy Collectables so that I only had pieces on my desk that were suitable.

I dabbed my 2 blue inkpads on my craft sheet in a random pattern and sprayed it with water, then put my whitecardstock down onto it and pressed, I repeated this a couple of times.  I wiped up the excess with 2 scraps of white cardstock to use in a future layout.

Then I grabbed the blue paint from my Soul Journey Charity Kit putting a small amount on my craft sheet and adding water, I used the packaging technique to add this to my cardstock.  I used the same process with the gold paint in my Charity Kit.  That little hint of gold in the background really helps.

Next I grabbed my Ranger Archival ink pads in grey and black and used the grey to stamp my triangle background stamp from Darkroom Door and the black to stamp my Kaisercraft Butterfly stamp just randomly over the page.


Then I adhered my cut file and started adding die cuts and this cute lace heart that will be in a upcoming Scrapping Fun Kits Embellishment Kit.

I used some of the bookplate die cuts from Wandering Ivy to write love and Do It For Dolly and added these to my die cut clusters.

Next I added pen around the edge of my cut file and over it where words were welded to help define the words.

I attempted drawing a vine with leaves but was not happy with it so added a denim flower to one of my clusters to hide this a little.  And then added one of these to the top and bottom cluster to balance things out.


I am really happy with the finished page and I am feeling a lot more confident about trying Art Journalling again after this.

I thought this project was a lovely way to record how Dolly's story has touched so many of us I hope as a society we make the change that Dolly deserved, that all our kids deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment